Heather Teachout

Heather Teachout graduated from Genesee Community College in 2003 with a Medical/Office Technology Certification. Heather spent 12 years as a pharmacy technician, and 5 years in the Banking Industry. Heather has been with WNYCMA for the last 5 years as the office administrator, and crop scouting in the summer months. Heather offers a wide variety of skills and energy to the office.

Chautauqua County Soil Health Field Day

Chautauqua County Soil Health Field Day

Chautauqua County Soil Health Field Day

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

9:15 am – 12:30 pm

Lesch Farms, LLC

4893 West Main Road (Tent in Field)

Fredonia, New York

Hosted by: Dave, Irene, John, and Heather Lesch & Family

FREE to attend, no pre-registration required

NYS DEC Pesticide Recertification Credits Available

Field Day Agenda:

9:15 am: Registration, Donuts, Coffee & Beverages provided

9:30 am: Welcome & Introductions

  • Discussion on programs available from USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service

and Chautauqua County Soil and Water Conservation District to assist with implementing soil health practices.

  • Overview of Lesch Farms tillage and cover crop practices. View cover crop interseeder, planters,

and strip till equipment - Lesch Farms, LLC Field Day Hosts

10:00 am: NY Soil Health Trailer Demonstrations - Healthy soil can reduce nutrient loss from intense rainfall events which keeps crops productive and our water cleaner - Fay Benson, Extension Educator, Cornell University SCNY Regional Dairy Team, Cortland, NY

11:00 am: Weed, Insect and Disease Challenges with Tillage Practice Changes - Farmers make changes to their rotations and tillage practices and utilize more cover crops to create a healthier environment for soil microbes and crops. However, those changes often create an environment that is more desirable to unwanted pests as well. Dan will discuss some of those pests and management considerations to control them - Dan Steward, Field Crop Consultant, WNY Crop Management Association, Randolph, NY

11:45 am: View and Discuss Soil Pits Highlighting Soil Health Indicators and How Soil Properties Influence Soil Function - Matt Havens, Soil Scientist, USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service, Belmont, NY

12:30 pm: Opportunity to ask additional questions and receive Pesticide and CCA credits

Please note: Moderate walking required at the field day to view demonstrations. Seating will NOT be

provided - please bring your own lawn chair if needed.

NYS DEC Pesticide Recertification Credits are available: Category 1A- Ag Plant, 0.75 points and Category 21- Field and Forage, 0.75 points. Bring your NYS DEC Pesticide Applicator License to receive credits.

This informational program is being organized by: Chautauqua County Soil & Water Conservation District; USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service; and Cornell Cooperative Extension of Chautauqua County in cooperation with Lesch Farms, LLC; Western NY Crop Management Association; Pioneer Seeds; Preferred Seed and Lamb & Webster.

Plan to join us to learn more about Soil Health for your farm on Wednesday, August 25th from

9:15 am until 12:30 pm at Lesch Farms, LLC in Fredonia, NY.

Read More →

Permit Requirements for Construction Activities

The advent of spring often brings with it a flurry of construction activities.

If your farm is planning for new barns, bunk silos or certain other structures, you may also be required to obtain a General Permit for Stormwater Discharges (SPDES Construction Permit). This requirement is often overlooked by farms and a number of facilities have been cited during CAFO inspections for failure to obtain the proper permits. The following is a summary of the requirements you should be aware of. They are also listed in your ECL SPDES General Permit for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations. All CAFOs are required to have a copy of the permit at their facility or in their CNMP. It should be noted that the following requirements apply to construction activities at all farms, not just CAFO facilities.

  1. Certain operational and vegetative agricultural Best Management Practices (BMPs) do not require obtaining the SPDES Construction Permit or implementing erosion and sediment control practices. Examples of these BMPs are conservation tillage (reduced till, no-till, strip till), cover crops, crop rotation, land application of manure and strip cropping.
  2. Construction of Structural Agricultural BMPs with soil disturbances of between one and five acres: If you are constructing certain structural agricultural BMPs that will disturb one or more acres but less than five acres, you do not need to obtain a SPDES Construction Permit. However, you are required to implement erosion and sediment control practices designed in conformance with the New York Standards and Specifications for Erosion and Sediment Control during construction. Examples of these BMPs are access roads, barnyard runoff systems, diversions, critical area protection, fencing, grass waterways, composting and manure storage systems. Your farm’s engineer or many Soil and Water Conservation Districts can help you plan the needed erosion control practices
  3. Construction of Structural Agricultural BMPs listed in (2) above with soil disturbance of five or more acres: If your activity falls under this category, you are required to obtain coverage under the SPDES Construction Permit by submitting a SPDES Construction Permit Notice of Intent to DEC prior to the start of soil disturbance. You are also required to develop and implement a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) that includes erosion and sediment control practices. Again, your engineer or some Soil and Water Conservation Districts can assist you.
  4. Construction Activities with soil disturbances between one and five acres that require both a SPDES Construction Permit and a SWPPP: Certain construction activities that disturb more than one acre, but less than five acres will require coverage under the SPDES Construction Permit and also the development and implementation of a SWPPP. Examples of these activities include barns, houses, bunk silos, farm ponds and other farm buildings.
  5. Construction Activities listed in (4) above with soil disturbances of five or more acres: You must get the coverage listed above for disturbances of between one and five acres. In addition, if the project includes the construction or reconstruction of impervious areas, the SWPPP must also address post-construction stormwater management practices.

To obtain coverage under the SPDES General Permit, you need to submit a Construction Permit Notice of Intent to your local DEC office. While this may sound confusing, it is important that you follow these requirements. Just keep in mind that if you are planning any construction activities on your farm, you should first check to see if you need to obtain any permits from DEC. If you are working with an engineer, they should know the requirements. You can also check with your local Soil and Water Conservation District. Your farmstead planner at WNY Crop Management Association can also give you guidance. If you still have questions, contact your local DEC office.

Read More →